Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radiogram project. yes i mean RADIOGRAM :thoughts,sugestions,ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostman11

ok a quick run down, nothing is set in stone so far so any sugestions gratefuly excepted.
basic outline is as follows.
the wife is realy into the old retro stuff like old tv's and radiograms etc. so we have decided to get another old radiogram and mod it to play MP3's and CD's and if possiable DAB radio, but we want to keep the looks as far as possiable like the origanal. to give you an idea of the sort of thing she is after here are a few pics. **broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

not everyones cup of tea i admit but anyway..........
i looked at a pic based mp3 player but i have kind of discounted that as being hard to do with a HDD and somewhat complicated, so i am leaning towards using an old pc motherboard and winamp, i better mention at this point that the whole idea is to keep the character of the unit so all moderfications will have to be 'hidden' i was thinking with winamp i could use winamp com controll and use a pic to controll it via the parralell port, i would also like to use LCD smartie so i can get a lcd readout of tracks being played etc as there will be no monitor connected.
does anyone know where in the uk i get a 40x4 lcd at reasonable cost??
i would also like to add DAB radio and a CD player this can be connected to the mother board for simplicity, the speakers will be changed and i would like to add an amplifier.
has any one done a project like this or does anyone have any sugestions?

Hi,

Yes understand what you are trying to do, did things like that 30 years ago.

However with all the digital equipment today think you will waste your time and money and just end up with a total mish-mash.

Would strongly suggest looking at some of the modern 'all in one' units that range from a few hundred to a £1000+ , the quality of these little units can be astounding for the price.

Would think you could then fit one into your cabinet hidden with an old fashioned dummy cover .

**broken link removed**
Magazines like What Hifi are also a good source of info.

Hey ghostman! It's cool to see you again

I have noticed that your unit has a LP player like mine. Just find the the phono-in connection in the back of the unit and plug in a cable like this:

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy...gc.r_pw.&fp=550af51d846e7924&biw=1680&bih=883

Now you will be able to plug virtually anything into your old radio (mp3, computer,etc), without modifying it. You know, getting digital equipment today is easy, but the old unit may be unique

Last edited:
great thanks for the info menticol. i understand what your saying WP, and i do have a very very good modern system, but the wife like the old stuff and its for her. i just thought the pc route would be easier. plus she wants the old turntable (dont ask me not my idea!). plus i like the challenge ;)
thanks for the replys chaps useful input as always

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back