Saving a sound file onto an IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_wadley

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to save sound onto an IC and then using a PIC microcontroller - play and stop the song.

I am looking for about radio quality - I'd prefer it not sound terrible.

The chips is going to hold the theme song to The Terminator: 15mb .mp3.. so about 1GB .wav

I am mounting it on a Framed Poster of The Terminator. Basically It's just a novelty really..

Going to set it up so that you can push a button which the PIC reads then starts playing the music from the memory IC (Flash, EEPROM???) date of the music.. as the music plays red LEDS which I have mounted on the poster will flicker insync with the music. (Controlled by the same PIC of course)

The speaker would be 8hm: 5 watt I guess would work?

Id think Microchip would have the IC I am looking for... but I dont want to take a blind guess at it.

Thanks
Peter

Use an MP3 player, far cheaper than building your own, and you would need to source hard to find SM IC's.

The Terminator theme is available for download and play using the PICaxe 008M chip. Go to **broken link removed** for information. Click on software.

Peter_wadley said:
The chips is going to hold the theme song to The Terminator: 15mb .mp3.. so about 1GB .wav
A PIC with a such a memory will come next soul.It's just a dream of you.Better buy a small MP3 palyer.......

I'd buy a dirt cheap MP3 player and then modify it around your design. The power, play, stop, ff, and rw buttons can be easily interfaced to a micro controller. MP3 players are so cheap nowdays unless you're building a commercial design there's no point in makeing your own from scratch.

if you search arround the forum, you'll find a lot of threads about this subject, at least, ONE! i remember it was very instructive..

Last edited:
I agree, integrating other pieces of consumer electronics into a project is not only often the cheapest way but also the most effective and often fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_wadley

A PIC with a such a memory will come next soul.It's just a dream of you.Better buy a small MP3 palyer.......

Sorry to mislead.. that was just little joke about the size of wav. files

I would only need @ max 30mb wav. maybe even 10mb if need be.

I heard its alot easier to use wav. since I will not need to use a decoder.. only a digital to analog chip... or something like that..

Am I right to think the circuit will contain three chips:

The memory IC - will send the .wav in digital
The D/A will convert the digital to A/C analog voltage, which will cause the speaker to compress and rarefract.
And the PIC will be hooked up to One of the above chips to Play and stop the sound?

I have been googling for a fast D/A chip but could not find any.. also with the memory .. from what Ive read all I'd need is 30mb of EEPROM.. correct if wrong please..

Could someone please link to an A/D converter IC and the memory I would need..

I really do not want to just use already made mp3 players.. Im all about the DIY .. like most of you here Id think .. I want to touch on every aspect of circuitry I can before university (Sept) that way I will be full of project Ideas when assigned Labs and such.

In the mean time I will keep searching Google and Yahoo for what Im looking for.

Althougth it is easier using an MP3 player. I've heard that it is possible with a PIC and an R2R network for the DAC.

Yes, you can playback from EEPROM using a PIC and a simple R2R DAC - the main constraint is the size of the EEPROM.

There are cheaper solutions than sd/mmc out there, have a look at this project developed with Proton+ PIC Basic
**broken link removed**

Some of the Specs:

Just amazing what you can do when you use higher languages, the simplicity of complexity factor allows you to do almost anything

Last edited by a moderator:
gramo said:
There are cheaper solutions than sd/mmc out there

I don't agree about the cost. 1 GB SD cards are often cheaper than other flash memory IC's that can store some MB's. And you probably don't need to buy one. If you have a digital camera, you must have one or two cards handy.

eng1 said:
I don't agree about the cost. 1 GB SD cards are often cheaper than other flash memory IC's that can store some MB's. And you probably don't need to buy one. If you have a digital camera, you must have one or two cards handy.

$7.41 for 32MB from mouser, that's not bad at all at the end of the day

Here’s an actual recording made by the PIC, & played back via the PIC to the sound card

**broken link removed**

That memory can store 32 Mbits = 4 MegaBytes. You can cascade two or three of them but if you need more memory, an SD card is the best option in my opinion. It really depends on what you want to do!
Higher level languages help interfacing SD cards to PIC micro controllers, as you know. Take a look at the Daisy mp3 project.

Last edited:
how do you read/write onto a memory card.

a couple of tips, you can use 8 bit encoding, use mono not stereo, and you don't necesarily need to use 44 KHz sample often 22 will do or 32 is still saving 25 %

mono, 8 bit 32 KHz is gonna be 1/5 the original 16 bit stereo at 44 KHz

Don't forget about difference encoding, only storing the difference between one sample and the next instead of every sample and it's entire bit depth, with periodic absolute updates. If the audio signal is processed properly it can dramatically decrease the amount of data required.

Thanks so much for the link Mark

That looks like an ok chip.. I read through the datasheet.. this chip is only for recording from a mic correct? not a PC

I am looking for on that I can load with .wav from the computer and then do interface it to microcontroller exactly as this one is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…