Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Scr, gate to cathode = 0 ohms?? New one = 56 ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

Trying to determine if this SCR is bad. I removed 2 of them. Measuring from cathode to gate, I get o ohms a o voltage drop in diode test in both directions. A new one tests at 56 ohms and .03V with a diode test in both directions. I am confused as to why a new one show does not show the diode test correctly and if indeed this SCR has a problem?

A gate to cathode short is a fairly common failure mode for an SCR and results in the SCR remaining in the off mode. I was told that it is impossible for it to fail gate to anode but, I did encounter one once. It caused the SCR to conduct on every positive cycle. I haven’t done a ohm test on one for so long I don’t remember if minority carriers will give a weird reading or not.

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I did replace the SCRs and further found the driver resistor to be toast as well. After replacing that, I am happy to report that my circuit is humming and making smoothies.... (Blentec blender)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back