Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

second times a charm please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjyates

The last time I posted a question I was spanked pretty hard
I guess my imagination greatly exceeds my electronic knowledge
And possibly the ability of electronics all together
Anyway a few years ago I built a wimshurst machine it works
Very well. I would like to copy its power output with a solid state device.
From what I have read and this is a rough guess its power output is
Around 150,000v somewhere in the high Hz to low kHz range and
Extremely low currant
I have a NST 1500v @ .60ma.
I thought of building a 10-stage voltage multiplier witch would give
Me my voltage but as was pointed out it would give me more currants
Than I would need. And still need to raise freq.

Any help with this problem or a completely new idea would be
completely appreciated

wjyates

A Wimshurst Machne puts out a DC current. The are some AC components when it arcs but the source is DC. Thus a voltage multiplier which generates DC would work in theory. Of course 10 stages requires that each stage have diode(s) capable of blocking 1500V. You generally need to add high value resistors across each stage to balance the voltage, otherwise one stage is likely to breakdown.

A voltage multiplier reduces the available output current by approximately the number of stages so the output of the 10 stages will be 0.06ma or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back