Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sequencer Type Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I need help on one more thing, again. I need an idea for a circuit, similiar to and LED sequencer. It needs to light LEDs, up to 9, in order. So, 1, 2, 3, ect. However, I need to previous LEDs to stay lit as well. So, 1 led, 2 leds, 3 leds, ect. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Try a 4017 decade counter..............................

Hi,
He wants the LED's 1 thru 9 to stay LIT, the 4017 will not do that.:) the outputs are high and low in sequence.

Check out the LM3916. It will produce a bargraph but needs an analogue voltage as its input.

Mike.

Check out the LM3916. It will produce a bargraph but needs an analogue voltage as its input.

Mike.
Shouldn't that be LM3914? LM3916 is nonlinear. It would still do what he wants, but it might look a little funky.

It might be fun to clock serial in shift register(s) with a 555. Wire the 10th bit back into the **** registers clear. Depending on the active state of the clear you may need an inverter.

EDIT: Tie the serial in pin on the shift register high. That will cause it will shift in 1's at the clocks speed. Tie the output enable active

Last edited:
It might be fun to clock serial in shift register(s) with a 555. Wire the 10th bit back into the **** registers clear. Depending on the active state of the clear you may need an inverter.

EDIT: Tie the serial in pin on the shift register high. That will cause it will shift in 1's at the clocks speed. Tie the output enable active
**** register? Who makes those?:D

Alright, I checked out the LM3914. It looks like it would suit my needs, to a degree. I still need a way to produce the analogue signal based on x number of pulses, with 18 being 5v. Also, the LM3914's equivalent is fairly expensive on Mouser.

I had this circuit wired perfectly using a 4017 matrix at one point, but is there any way to keep the outputs high? I'm really stumped here.

Also, I'm a bit wet behind the ears and have never heard of shift registers. Any additional information?

Is this what you want (the sequence starts at the bottom)? It was generated with two 74HC164 shift registers and a 74HC04. I can post he schematic if this is what you need.

Attachments

• shift register waves.PNG
    shift register waves.PNG
    19.9 KB · Views: 150
That looks about right, but I need 18 in the sequence instead of just 9. Also, once they're all on, they should remain on until reset, whether it be by a high or low signal, either will work for my application.

I'm working on a project similar to GOkussj5okazu's, and would benefit with a peek at Roff's schematic - I'm a little confused on the enable A and B. Should both be tied high and use the clock input on the 74HC164 to shift the data? (I've tried that and all I get is all outputs high)

I'm working on a project similar to GOkussj5okazu's, and would benefit with a peek at Roff's schematic - I'm a little confused on the enable A and B. Should both be tied high and use the clock input on the 74HC164 to shift the data? (I've tried that and all I get is all outputs high)

hi,
Perhaps this table will help.:)

Attachments

• HC164.gif
    HC164.gif
    21.3 KB · Views: 157
Thanks Eric - the table you posted is slightly different than the one in a datasheet I found. This shows the MR input has to be set high in order for the data to 'shift' on a clock cycle, right? I have tied both enable inputs high, and left the MR input float. The result I get is 'high' in all the output registers. If I set the MR to low, the outputs go low, as soon as I remove the low, all registers go high again. The clock input seems to be doing nothing.

You could use a 4017, 4040, or 74C175 with latched outputs using a 4013 D flip-flop wired as a divide-by-two unit and tying all RESET pins together. Then you will have all LEDs on until a manual reset is done. With the LM3914, you need a DAC to feed the input and probably driver transistors to handle the current draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back