Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simplistic Transistor Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

genetica

Good day

I have a question regarding the uploaded circuit, it is for converting a PPM signal to a USB interface found at http://www.rcdesign.ru/articles/electronics/rcusb (I know its Russian, good for google translator)

The transistor VT1 according to the author:
"PPM signal from the transmitter to the input of ICP (input capture pin) microcontroller through a matching stage transistor VT1. If the amplitude of the signal from the transmitter PPM exceeds 1.5V, you can not establish the elements of VT1 and R3, and to signal to the input of the microcontroller DD1 ICP via a resistor R2"

I do not understand the function of the resistor/transistor configuration or the reference to the "matching stage transistor". Can someone please explain to me?

Attachments

• rcu.gif
    rcu.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 141
I do not understand the function of the resistor/transistor configuration or the reference to the "matching stage transistor". Can someone please explain to me?

This cascade is matching a level of a signal - if the signal has low level, then you need this transistor. If level is high enough (1.5 V and more), then you don't need the transistor - use only resistor R2 between TX PPM and ATMEGA.

The VT1 transistor is doing a level shifting/amplification of the input clock. The collector is using the ATMEG8 internal pull-up resistor which must be enabled for given port, PB0 in this case.

The internal pull-up resistor in the ATMEG8 ranges from 20k to 50K so it is a relative high value resistance. If there is too much stray capacitance on this line or the frequency of the clock is too high it can impact the waveform of the clock. I would probably opt for an external pull-up of a lower value to ensure waveform integrety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back