mosfet just got really hot
tried triac - nada
ordered DPDT relays from Mouser
see attached circuit
should work??

Attachments

• pinestart2.JPG
    570.9 KB · Views: 185
I've no idea what you're asking?, I can't see a MOSFET or a TRIAC in that circuit - you can't just substitute different components without redesigning the circuit.

The 555 is not connected correctly.
The CD4017 has its power supply pins connected backwards.
The CD4030 doesn't have its power pins connected and its input is floating.
Why is the schematic so huge with big spaces between its parts?

I am new to using PCB123

will recheck the 555 but it is working. need to recheck the scheamatic.
I took the mosfet off then tried a triac both failed to do what I wanted so just waiting for relays.
thanks for looking and advising on circuit.
I want to etch a circuit board to clean up the mess I have--cut wires, loose wire ends, unhooked transistors etc.

As there are other errors in your circuit perhaps you had also connected your MOSFETs/TRIACs incorrectly.

I breadboarded the Mosfet as well as the triac.am new to using PCB123

the relays will do several things for me
no worrying about switch bounce
can turn on the 24 v solenoides AND activate the 12v red lights if need be.no problems with voltage loss or switch bounce causing eractic behavier.

circuit rechecked and corrected??

found and corrected all the mistakes pointed out as well as several other minor mis connected wires

Attachments

• pinetreeredraw.JPG
    555.1 KB · Views: 172
MrDEB said:
found and corrected all the mistakes pointed out as well as several other minor mis connected wires
It looks much better.
Pin 1 of the CD4030 needs a resistor to ground.

WHY?
the input is low as the outputs from 4017 are ORed w/ the diodes.
reaching the 5th count (green light, High/High = high) the output from the 4030 goes high turning off the 2n3906.
If I add a resistor will it still let the #1 pin go high on (the gree light, 5th count)?
It works now but perhaps a resistor might make it better????

You didn't ask - Why 2 regulators
with the lights on the present regulator gets warm.
I figure adding an extra regulator will just help??
the voltage input (18V dc)I have been using is from discarded HP printer.
Planning on using a 24v dc 2A transformer w/ 4 diodes to run the electronics, Lights AND the 2 solenoids (when 1 solenoid activated, measured 240ma)
havn't tried turning on solenoids w/ the 50ft of wire. hope they still work?
If need be will use HP transforer at one end of track for electronics and 24V transformer at other end (location of solenoids)

Pin one of the 4030 needs a high value (100k to 1M) resistor to ground because it will be floating when all the inputs to the diode OR are low. CMOS inputs should never be left floating, they should always be connected to either 0V or the positive rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…