Stepper motor power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

uaefame

Hello everyone,

I have a stepper motor 1.6A, 5V. I need a power supply for it.

Note 1: I won't feed it directly from battery
Note 2: I don't care if the 5V volt is regulated or not.

Thanks in advance

from Hosfelt.com
5 VDC @ 1.6 AMP Adapter $US 4.75
Mfg. # AFK-520C1
2-7/8"x 2-1/4" x 1-7/8"
Input: 120 VAC, 60 Hz, 20 watt
Output: 5 VDC @ 1.6 amp. The enclosure and the
6 ft. cord are black. Center is negative for polarity.
Coaxial jack: OD - .215", ID - .082".
PN 56-602

When I read the name
Hesham Ismail Mohammed Sharif
and I look at the little picture, I get more than a little
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
but that's probably my problem.

Last edited:
Thanks, But in my country we use 240VAC not 120VAC.

When I read Maryland, USA. I think about my Institute.

Btw, our institute (Petroleum Institute) is a partner with University of Maryland. We had couple of students visiting Maryland university lately.

Last edited:
You don't want to drive it from a 5v supply - you want aroud 18-24 volts with current limiting to get the best out of it.

Driving a stepper from a much higher voltage supply will overcome a lot of inductance issues and the current limiting prevents it from burning out.

you want aroud 18-24 volts with current limiting to get the best out of it

This is my problem, I can't understand why you need higher than 5V? Did the company already rated 5V? Why is that?

I actually began to understand the current limiting issue but high voltage is still a concern to me? Can anyone clear this point more for me...

Thanks in advance

At 5 volts, the motor will take 1.6 amps

When you put the 5 volts on to the motor, it will have inductance and resistance, the motor will not be at its full efficiency until it is drawing its maximum 1.6 amps.

Having a higher voltage allows the current in the motor to ramp up much more quickly to reach its maximum current in a faster time. When the motor is at its rated current, the limiter kicks in to stop the coil burning out.

If you google something like "chopper circuit" you'll get loads of info

When I went to U. of MD I never saw a girl like that. Probably she was in Liberal Arts. . . or wherever I wasn't.

BTW, these guys are heavily into steppers for CNC.
https://www.cams-club.org

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…