Stereo transmiter anyone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrogla

A couple of my friends have been nagging lately and they want me to make a radio transmiter...

Doesn`t need power as it will be used arond the house... instead of getting cables all over the house and maybe even outside, you`d just stick this baby onto a sound card, play the music in Winamp or something and listen to it on a radio. :twisted:

Good for parties also I guess

If anyone got anything I`d be gratefull

Božo

Hi Bozo,
Silicon Chip magazine published a very good FM stereo transmitter project. On their website they want you to pay for the article. But if you enter in a Google search: siliconchip micromitter you get a link to the entire project for free. :lol:

Some chips can do the job, like this:

Attachments

• ba1404.pdf
    474 KB · Views: 408
Hi Sebi,
Rohm discontinued their BA1404 a while ago because its RF section was lousy. Their BH1417 replaces it and is used in the Micromitter project. It uses a Phase-Locked-Loop to lock the RF oscillator with its 7.6MHz crystal oscillator for rock-solid RF stability and much reduced interference with its divided-down 38kHz stereo carrier and 19kHz pilot tone.

Hey great!!!

I knew there had to be an IC for this...
The article is great, now I just gotta check for availibility in Slovenia...

Thanks guys,
Božo

Still got a roblem... I can`t seem to find a dealer for this IC in my country :x

I`ll keep looking but if anyone has another idea please write here... I`m sure others will find the information usefull...

thanks

Walk across the river and get the IC or the whole kit in Australia or New Zealand.
Matbe you can get it by mail.
Maybe you have an international branch of Farnell in your country.

drrogla, if you can send me the money by PayPal, I'll order you one and send it to you.

I want to build this transmitter myself for my father. He's currently got one using the BA1404 chip and it's not very good and is currently suffering distortion.

Trouble is, the stated coverage of around 20 metres means actual coverage of about 8 metres. Is there a simple way to convert the circuit (I will be making the PCB myself) to output at a higher power?

Thanks.

Further to my last post, the IC doesn't seem very common. Also, you'd need the 7.6MHz crystal for the micromitter circuit, which is also hard to find.

For the IC (all prices in UK £ Sterling):

Each: £2.16
Subtotal: £2.16
Handling: £10.00
Shipping: £12.00
Total £24.16

This one doesn't include VAT in the above price, so plus 17.5%VAT:

£24.16 + £4.22 (17.5%) = £28.38

For the crystal:

Each: £1.05
Subtotal: £1.05
Shipping: £13.00
Handling charge: £0.00
CA Sales Tax: £0.00
Total Price: £15.10

So:

£28.38 +
£15.10
--------
£43.48

I can get these parts for you if you'd like and considering the prices, I'd send them to you for free! But it'd be worth seeing if anyone else on here can get the parts for less :shock:

Just checked and this is true. But it has a pretty crappy range. Any way to increase the range easily?

It states 20 metres which means 8 metres in a house. So a range of 50 metres would be better (especially since the neighbours say they like listening to it in their houses with the existing transmitter :wink: )

The Micromitter project uses an output attenuator to meet Australia's RF laws. Simply don't use the attenuator for much better range.

You're the neighbourhood pirate broadcaster? :lol:

Thanks for the info, I'll try to see if I can gather what component I need to leave out - I hate to admit it but I have big gaps of knowledge...

Well, sort of... although I didn't realise it at first, until one day one of the neighbours told me how much they enjoyed listening to the audio on their radio which I was transmitting.

I assume the others like it too, or don't listen to the radio or not in that area of the FM spectrum... tra la la laa la. 8)

Are you aware of the penalties for unlicenced broadcasting in the UK?.

For a start they confiscate ALL your equipment, including everything that's connected to it - so if it's connected to your HiFi that goes as well, or if it's connected to your computer - bye, bye computer!.

You eventually get to your day in court, where you are likely to be fined, although the possible penalties do include jail time!.

I don't think I'd try it in the UK. My message referred to another country. Spain to be precise, where they aren't quite as bothered about such things... mañana, mañana...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…