Supply Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hello people im back heh...

I need to power a pic which is the simplest thing in the world when using a normal AC/DC Adapter. The issue i have here is this will be placed in my wall..

I want to use a transformer or some way stepping down our 125v POWER LINES. I will be placing the pic in a box :

**broken link removed**

It takes about have that box for my circuit.. I need the transformer or step down power stuff to fit in the other half.. i have about 3sq in left for it.... do you think its possible to make the step down supply or buy a transformer to fit in there for under $10 USD...

The circuit i have already has a LM7805 so it can handle up to 20v DC input i think...

How about an old cellphone charger? it might be small enough. The box you show is called a single gang handy box, you could go to a 4x4 , or a 4 11/16 square. They are also available in cast aluminum or pvc.

i was thinking about that but the issue is i might have this mass produced like 100 so i wanted a good source for parts

ill make that my last resort heh.. if it cost too much to do ill buy 100 chargers and take apart and incorp it into my design

The only thing I can think of is to gut a 5v SMPS cellphone charger, and bypass the 7805. All the ones I've found are regulated. They run between $.99 and $2.99 at thrift stores around here. The current ratings are usually 700mA for the smallest ones and up to 2.0A for the slightly larger ones. I use a coping saw to cut "almost through" the case at the glue lines, then use a big flat blade screwdriver to pop them open.

Ken

What size is the box?

How much power do you need?

Does it need to be isolated? Would a transformerless power supply do?

Obviously that metal box will have to be earthed.

Thats what ill have to do then.. found this:

**broken link removed**

or

**broken link removed**

What size is the box?

How much power do you need?

Does it need to be isolated? Would a transformerless power supply do?

Obviously that metal box will have to be earthed.

I have 3 square inches at a height of 1inch... for the power supply.
I need 5v 500mA as the final outcome...
Transformerless is fine.
Earthed? (grounded)?

The main idea or outcome is 5v @ 300mA minimum needed.

EDIT:

Going to pharmacy be back in 30min

Last edited:
That second one looks like it has screws to hold on the back. That would make disassembly easy.

Ken

The current is too high for a transformerless PSU and it's too small for a linear PSU so you're restricted to an SMPS.

The most cost effective option is probably to buy a small plug-top SMPS and use the PCB, as mentioned about.

Earthed = grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…