Switching preregulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye28

Hi,

I need to design a switching preregulator that is able to take in up to 160vdc.
The output of the preregulator is 100w.

The aim of this preregulator is to regulate the dropout voltage of a linear regulator within 2-4v..

I need advices on how to design the circuit that is able to cope with such a high input voltage. I am thinking of using DC as the input voltage should be variable.

A million thanks in advance.

Regards,

The volts and amps of the output would help.
There are thousands of switching regulators available (retail) that use 160 DC and higher for their input. It's been done. Lets get down to the specs.

Tell us more

Tell us a little more about your needs.

What voltage and current do you want out of the final output?
Is the input to the prereulator from a transformer?
Just kinda walk us thru it.

Hello there,

Here is a preliminary design used about 6 years ago. It's lower voltage but the principle is the same for the input/output tracker. It's done with very fast components (transistor for example) so that it is faster than the linear regulator part.
Note the transistor, zener, diode, and 10k resistor. That's the tracker that keeps the output of the switcher a few volts above the output of the linear regulator.

Attachments

• PowerSupply-w-Sw-PreReg-03.GIF
    20.5 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Why do you need a preregulator and regulator. A switching regulator alone can do the job.

Hello,

Sometimes a very very clean output is desired while still keeping power dissipation down so a switching pre-regulator is used as the front end of a linear.

The switching pregulator is to take in 160vdc and the output will be stepped down (buck converter). Output peak power is 100W. I plan to step down to 80V with 1A current. Hence output will be 80W..

The preregulator is to regulate the input-output voltage of the variable linear regulator by 2 to 4V. Hence if the 80V of switching preregulator is going into the linear regulator. The output will be 76v to 78v. If the user wants to select any voltage from the linear regulator, he has to choose any voltage before 78v. Is it true... or from 76v to 78v?

I want to do a switching preregulator design using purely DC voltage. Is it possible.. Any idea of websites i can get circuit designs for 160vdc inputs...

I need a microcontroller to act as controller too. All the safety features will be monitored..any better ideas, bros??

Thanks in advance..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…