Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switching randomly my relayboard thrue Parallelport

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricAmsterdam

I want to switch my relayboard randomly of and on.

I have found many small programs that can use the relayboard as a timer.
Now i am looking for a program what i can use to switch the relays randomly.
did anyone had the same quest before and found the solution? I am interested!

Maybe you can direct me to the right place for further searching.

-o.s. win 9x or higher
-relay board; 8 relays connected to parrallel port
-I cannot adapt any program language
-relayboard was self build (velleman)
-i am familiar with the existence of Fsuipc though not using it yet

purpuse:
i am building a flightsim. i want randomly to switch on/off activators to simulate airplane movements /shaking

thanks in advance

The member here who could likely help you would be Eric Gibbs who has a few Blog Projects using the old parallel port using programming in Visual Basic. The fact that you state you cannot adapt any programming language makes things a little difficult as you are looking for an out of the box turn key solution. You will really also need to better define "Random" as it applies to random switching. Times and durations come to mind for starters.

Additionally, while still in use and available the parallel port is dying off. You may want to consider something new for a new project like USB communications to a relay board or other external hardware.

Ron

Last edited:
hi,
Is it the Velleman K8056 Relay Board.?? [ it is Serial?]

Please post a link for your Relay board.

Thanks for your quick replies!

You're absolutly right, USB would be a better solution but i have an old laptop with parallelport and an old interfacecard so i gave it a try

Roughly speaking the most ideal program to me is an (ordinary) timer program but with an extra option:

relay 1 - set start time -- randomly generate ONduration / randomly generate OFFduration --end time
relay 2 - etc.

thanks for the link, i will have a look there!

eric

**broken link removed**
is the one wich looks most alike, Its fot a parallel port

hi,
Downloaded your circuit.

If you really want a random operation of the relays it could be done with a small logic PCB.

Or do you want to control the 'randomness' using a PC.??

Yes, I have a spare laptop with an lpt port, so i hope to find a program that allows me to add some random switching. I am not that picky abpout its features since it looks like a needle in a haystack to find. Software for stage lightning is my hope for now.

I am also looking, with the other eye, at an Arduino board.If i buy one it could be the solution for many more ideas i have.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back