Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermistor Comparator Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

shachar85

Hi

I want to build a small circuit which will alert me once the temperature in my fridge goes up. (its an old fridge and it stops working once in 2 or 3 months).

I thought to use a thermistor that will be in the fridge. as shown in the image attached.

I think it should work,but as i'm a beginner in electronics, I thought it would be wiser to be sure before I buy the components.

The main idea of my circuit is that V- of the comparator(LM311N) gets constant 3.33v (5v divided by 50Kohm and 100Kohm).
When the temperature is right, the thermistor value is 100Kohm and V+ of the comparator gets 2.5V = lower than 3.33V. then the output is VS- which is 0.

When the temperature rises above the alert temperature, the value of the thermistor is above 50Kohm and V+ of the comparator is above 3.33V. then the output is VS+ which is 5V.

This 5V triggers the relay. and the relay activate the alarm, which will include a buzzer and a led.

will it work?

and for another thing - once the temperature will rise, there will be a few minutes that the 2 inputs will be balanced. The output will probably flip from 5V to 0 all this time. will it be wise to connect a capacitor with a resistor in the output in a way that only if the output will give 5V for 2-3 seconds,it will trigger the relay?

thank you for any answer

Attachments

• Thermistor.JPG
    Thermistor.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 4,416
I see you used a PTC thermistor. I'm gonna use a NTC. should I connect a positive or negative feedback then?

Will it make a different if I use a relay instead of the mosfet you used?

The issue of PTC vs NTC is independent of the positive feedback to the non-inverting input of the comparator. The LM311 will sink sufficient current to pull-in a relay; the LM358 wont. Dont forget a snubber diode around the relay coil.

Decoupling from a noisy power source. If yours is clean, leave out the 100 Ohm, but leave some sort of 5 to 50uF bypass cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back