Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tinnit Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
I know there are easier ways to plate boards such as cool amp. I already have some TINNIT on hand and plan to use it. Would like to get as much time out of it as I can, doubt that I will use it up.

The package says the shelf life is about 6 months after mixing. Several web sites that sell it state a 2 month after mixing. Could not find the manufacturers (Datak) web site.

One way to extend the life would be to only mix up half the powder. The kit contains 2 packages which would have to be resealed after the first use. Daisy-seal-a-meal time, or maybe just small zip lock bags.

Is the liquids shelf life effected by temperature? Would refrigeration make it last longer. Keep it out of the hot garage?

I have found that a halogen work light works well at heating SP etching solution. Just enough water in the bottom of a glass bread pan to cover the board. Heating is slow. Temp starts out a room temp and reaches about 120F in the time it takes to etch a board.

Last edited:
I have kept Tinnit for well over a year in a sealed bottle in the refrigerator, and it still worked. After longer periods, it may not redissolve completely. I filtered while hot and still used it. Eventually, it wears out and you get crummy plating.

I stopped using Tinnit a couple of years ago and just went to a conformal coating. Tinnit does help soldering a little, but I have had no problems with SMDs just using a paste flux. John

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back