Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toggle Dry Switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Has anyone ever experienced problems with using toggle switches for digital inputs? THere are some toggle switches I like but their current ratings (5-15A) seems rather high so if dry switching is ever a proble, it's going to be one here.

As long as you switch a mA or so at a few volts, I don't think you'll have a problem, especially if the switches has never been used to switch high currents.

Those larger toggle switches are designed to smack their contacts together with quite a lot of force, so they should be pretty immune to dry switching problems (if they are new as crutschow already said).

Why not use a CD4066 or 4016 to do the actual digital switching at the circuit level controlled by your toggle switches?

I have never experienced a bounceless switch.

Even electrically driven power switches for 150KW motors bounce. You can hear the result when you stand close to the switching cabinet.

After closing there is a sound like frying a "Wiener Schnitzel" for about 1 minute.

Those switches have to be changed at least every two months.

Boncuk

My question is about dry switching and not bounce. I suppose the first sentence of my first post was a bit vague, but the second one should have made things specific (and the thread title too).

Last edited:
As an addendum to my previous post, if the load is very small (such as a CMOS gate) then you should add a resistor to always have a mA or more through the contacts to minimize any dry switch problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back