Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unable to send voltage through source more than that is available at gate of the Mosf

Status
Not open for further replies.
sure what do u recommend transformer or some other way

Thanks
regards

I second the opinion that others have given you.
The first time one builds an electronic circuit, one must build and troubleshoot a far simpler version. To learn how buck converters work, you could build yourself something that would regulate 12 to 24 volts down to 5 volts at 1 amp. This is a very useful little supply that will allow to power your digital projects from a vehicle.

Then you can tackle more challenging projects.....and you'll very soon find the limitations of simple topologies.

For instance, at the current and voltage levels that you are looking to regulate, a simple buck will not cut it. For those higher power units, one must use either a push-pull or full bridge topology. If one must use a buck, then an interleaved multi-phase buck is required.

And indeed, using an isolation transformer while you are troubleshooting is a must. Power supply engineers use them all the time in conjunction with a Variac. Of course, if one has got the money, an AC source is the way to go.

I like designing power supplies, and can help if you are serious about them. For starters, I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND getting yourself a good power supply design book. Abraham Pressman's book is a classic, and you can find them used both at ebay and amazon.

EDIT: you can also read the many app notes that IC companies provide on the web. I've found the app notes from OnSemi and TI (Their older ones) to be the most enlightening.

Right_Then,to

I work on power supplies on the power line but........I use a isolation transformer. 110:110 and 220:220 It is much saver. I also have a variable transformer. The input is 110/220 and the output is 0 to 250 volt ac with isolation. (with fuse or breaker!)

I start out with a "wall wort" power supply to power the ICs. 12/15V at 100mA
To power the output I start with 10 or 20VAC through a transformer to carefully test the MOSFET. Then move the voltage up slowly to 50 then 100VAC.

To learn how buck converters work, you could build yourself something that would regulate 12 to 24 volts down to 5 volts at 1 amp.

And indeed, using an isolation transformer while you are troubleshooting is a must. Power supply engineers use them all the time in conjunction with a Variac. Of course, if one has got the money, an AC source is the way to go.

Dear Fellows,
I think i have taken everybody with a surprise that some or how i am careless about high voltages 250 volts!!! and do not comprehend the danger of it. While reading all your comments it appears to me that maybe i am. so i am being more cautious. but to rest your concerns i am posting two pictures (one from transformer and one from my old PSU) below of my fixed isolated power supplies which i made that i use for troubleshooting and general use. that i don't tackle AC directly and haphazardly and indeed do take precaution as much of little awareness that i have. unless i am making a bigger fool of myself posting them!

schmitt
I like designing power supplies, and can help if you are serious about them.
Thanks a lot for your help and indeed i need everybody's help more then you know. I might be little slow at grasping and implementing. well that is just my limitation. i shall keep posting questions as i tackle problems while implementing. Certainly initially i will only buck 30 volts.

ronsimpson your advice is noted and i too would use isolation transformers. thanks

Thanks to all
Regards

Attachments

• Fixed1.jpg
    Fixed1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Fixed2.jpg
    Fixed2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 165
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads