Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using an Audio Transformer for Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kit shows it as 500 Ohm/8 Ohm. My measurements are a fraction of that.

If some windings have been shorted, what will be the properties of the transformer? Can I still use it in audio circuits, or will it act as a short circuit?

I need a 60Hz sine wave with a faster sign wave riding on top of it. My function generator and AC power supply are part of the same kit and share the same ground, so I know of no way to mix the two without using a transformer. (I'm sure it could be one via some analog mixing circuit, but I'm not up to that yet).

How?

Refer to the instructions again and see if it says 500/8Ω of impedance or if it's DC resistance. I suspect it's Z. If that's the case it may be OK. What is the part number of the transformer?
If the transformer is shorted, it's trashed and not good for anything. Unless you have some loose papers on your desk.:D
You can photo copy your diagram and post it as an attachment (It's the paperclip above the editor in the reply window.
You can view this thread below for instructions.

Last edited:
The kit shows it as 500 Ohm/8 Ohm. My measurements are a fraction of that.
That's normal. The DC resistance is normally way lower than the impedance of the windings. Did you connect the 500Ω or 8Ω side to the power supply?
If some windings have been shorted, what will be the properties of the transformer? Can I still use it in audio circuits, or will it act as a short circuit?
If a winding is shorted, it is an ugly paper weight unless you rewind it. One way to test it is to connect your signal generator to the 500Ω winding and see if you get approximately 1/60th of the signal generator voltage level on the 8Ω winding. Use the sine function at 1Khz.
I need a 60Hz sine wave with a faster sign wave riding on top of it. My function generator and AC power supply are part of the same kit and share the same ground, so I know of no way to mix the two without using a transformer.
See if you can find a wall wart that outputs AC and use that for the low voltage 60Hz signal.

Last edited:
The impedance of a transformer is measured with AC, not with the DC from a multimeter.
Its 8 ohm winding is probably much less than 8 ohms for low loss.

It'll probably be under 1Ω.

Last edited:
One way to test it is to connect your signal generator to the 500Ω winding and see if you get approximately 1/60th of the signal generator voltage level on the 8Ω winding. Use the sine function at 1Khz.
You should get about 1/8 of the input voltage. Impedance ratio is the square of turns (voltage) ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back