voltage which works

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzEe

hi,
I am amature to electronics and don't know very much about ICs. I wanted to ask that can ICs be used directly at 5, 9, 12 volts or they can only be used at 5V. I am very much confused . any help guys.

it depends on the ic. you would have to look at the spec sheet to see. for example a logic gate might use just 5volt, a 555 timer can use up to like 18 volts ( im going from memory here so check the spec sheet). and a stepper controler ic a just bought uses 5 volts for the logic part and i think up to 12 for the output. so you really have to check.

Nobody ever said one of the voltages had to be ground. I've seen 4000 series CMOS chips used in oscillicopes generating logic signals with Vdd = -800 VDC and Vss = -810 VDC. You wouldn't want to put your lips on that circuit.

Well guys i have seen in the Data sheet of IC 4027B ( dual jk flip flop) and it had rating from 5 to 15 for Vdd and Vss on 0V to show the output delay. Is this the voltage range in which this IC can work.

Hi,

The voltage you referred to (+5 to +15) is for the DC supply voltage range. This is to power the chip.
The voltage for the input's will be more like 0.5v.
Having looked at the data sheet for a similar device (made by texas instruments), it seems that if you alter the supply voltage, the operating parameters change. (data setup time, input frequency etc)

I have never used this chip though. Maybe someone else would be able to better advise you.

EzEe said:
Well guys i have seen in the Data sheet of IC 4027B ( dual jk flip flop) and it had rating from 5 to 15 for Vdd and Vss on 0V to show the output delay. Is this the voltage range in which this IC can work.

Yes most IC's in 4000 series are 5to15 V supply. Inputs must be in the same range, so input of 0V to 1/2Vdd will be interpreted as logic 0 and anything above 1/2Vdd as logic 1. Inputs around centre of the range should be avoided, because they may cause excessive heating of the IC. Outputs will be 0V for 0 and Vdd for 1.
Jirka

Ttl

TTL IC's 74LSXX can only be run from 5 Volts dc only.

Some of the TTL 74HCXX may run from a higher voltage, check datasheet.

Other IC's like the 4000 series, as already said before, usually work between 3 and 15 Volts.

Check the data sheet of the IC to be sure.

Ordinary CD4xxx Cmos logic ICs have a supply voltage range of 3V to 15V, and ones made by Texas Instruments work up to 18V. They have full spec's at 5V, 10V and 15V.

High Speed 74HCxx Cmos logic ICs have a supply voltage range of 2V to 6V. They are usually used at 5V but I have them in battery powered circuits that have a supply voltage of 1.25V to 6.5V.

Some opamps like the MC3317x have a supply voltage range of 3V to 44V.

The OPA445 opamp has a supply voltage range of 20V to 90V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…