Where is the supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilimike

I found this schematic on the web, this plugs into an iPhone, an electric guitar and earphones/speakers. I see no supply, is this circuit missing anything?

Mike

Yes, it's completely useless.

The 4.7K should be fed from a +ve supply (probably 9V), and have a decoupling capacitor to chassis.

It also has far too low an input impedance for a guitar - change the 39K for a 2.2Meg.

Last edited:
I just realized you specified the decoupling capacitor going to chassis. If this circuit is in a plastic enclosure do I still need C4?

Mike

I just realized you specified the decoupling capacitor going to chassis. If this circuit is in a plastic enclosure do I still need C4?

Yes, 'chassis' is the negative voltage rail (on this case).

C4 is to decouple the battery - without it battery life will be DRASTICALLY reduced (10% or less), and the circuit may be unstable.

See the 4th contact on the headset plug?
The circuit converts the headset electret microphone into an input for the guitar pickup. The Jfet is powered instead of the Jfet in an electret mic.

See the 4th contact on the headset plug?
The circuit converts the headset electret microphone into an input for the guitar pickup. The Jfet is powered instead of the Jfet in an electret mic.

Are you referring to the 4th contact on the iPhone jack?
Do you mean that this pin is providing the supply for the circuit?

Mike

I would really like to have some clarification on post #8, I would hate to see black smoke coming out of my iPhone.

Mike

I would really like to have some clarification on post #8, I would hate to see black smoke coming out of my iPhone.
Many headsets for phones have an electret microphone. The first sketch shows a 4-contacts plug with the 4th contact connected to the guitar circuit and it is labelled "mic".
Instead of the phone powering an electret mic then it powers this guitar circuit instead with the same very low current that it powers an electret mic.

The electret mic has the same Jfet circuit inside as this guitar circuit. No smoke.

Ok understood,
So I can connect R3 back to ground and remove C4 and 9V supply as it is in the original schematic?
Do I maintain R1 as 2.2M or 39K was good?

Mike

Ok understood,
So I can connect R3 back to ground and remove C4 and 9V supply as it is in the original schematic?

You could try it and see.

Do I maintain R1 as 2.2M or 39K was good?

39K isn't good, it's far too low for a guitar - unless you have an active guitar? (but 2M2 is fine for either).

I have tried my circuit and I am getting some distortion. I have tried connecting to headphones and to the line input of a sound system both with the same effect.
I bought the components from a surplus store and used the closest values they had. Could that be the cause?
C1 = 20pF, the one I have is labeled 223 C5k other side:733 AKP
C2 = 100pF, the one I have is labeled 101
C3 = 470pF, the one I have is labeled 560k Z5F
Here is the schematic again:

Thanks

Mike

I have tried my circuit and I am getting some distortion. I have tried connecting to headphones and to the line input of a sound system both with the same effect.

Remove R3 that is causing the output to slam into 0V with severe distortion. The circuit in the iphone has it already connected so it powers (a headset mic) or the circuit.

I bought the components from a surplus store and used the closest values they had. Could that be the cause?
C1 = 20pF, the one I have is labeled 223.
C1 is supposed to be 20nF (20,000pF), not 20pF. 223 is 22,000pF so it is almost perfect.

C2 = 100pF, the one I have is labeled 101
You should learn about how capacitors are marked. The third number is how many zeros are following the first two numbers and the total is how many pF. 223 is 22 followed by 3 zeros so it is 22,000pF which is 22nF.
101 is 10 followed by 1 zero so it is perfect at 100pF.

Last edited:
Ron,
Thanks for the link, this will help a great deal.

Audioguru,
Thanks for the info, I wish i had your knowledge.

I am aware of the last digit being the number of zeros but always confused with the end result being nF, pF or uF. With Ron's link I'll be ok.

Mike

Last edited:
One pF is almost nothing. 1nF is 1000pF. 1uF is 1000nF or 1,000,000 pF. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…