Why won't it produce energy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaki

My savonius wind generator won't produce energy... i've built it almost exactly like this on this page : **broken link removed**

Probably because you've not built it properly?. I'm presuming it goes round OK?, if it does, and the magnets are passing closely over the coils (and the coils are OK) then it can't really not work - it might not produce much energy, but then it probably won't?.

Salaki said:
My savonius wind generator won't produce energy... i've built it almost exactly like this on this page : **broken link removed**

When you say _almost_ exactly, what does that mean? It might be a clue.

You don't even need magnets. Find a shunt DC motor and put a propeller on it. It will generate power.

How are you trying to measure the power output?

If you try to driver a too heavy load you will probably see zero volts.

Salaki said:
Why savonius wind generator won't produce energy
Who knows! May be theres no Wind.

Try to rotate by yourself................

For the effort you gave for that you should have built a battery charger for rechargeable batteries.

Last edited:
Optikon said:
When you say _almost_ exactly, what does that mean? It might be a clue.
when i say almost exactly i mean that the measurements of the square dowels and the braces and the round dowel is different. It's a little bit bigger.

Gayan Soyza said:
Who knows! May be theres no Wind.

Try to rotate by yourself................

For the effort you gave for that you should have built a battery charger for rechargeable batteries.

i rotated it by myself and it still doesn't work..

I know of occassions where a diesel engine driven alternators did not produce any output voltage. when the theory was studied- ( it is I Now of AudioGURU's corner as he puts a clause), the poles lost the remnent magneticsm-- such cases, a recommendation went to apply a DC(high current short pulse to the field coils--WHEN THE MACHINE IS NOT RUNNING--.
therafter, THE ALTERNATOR BEHAVED. and output came and it took load also.

I hope this experience may be of some use to Salaki

Sarma

Last edited:
Salaki said:
i don't understand you XD I'm a 6 grader

While it is rotating, apply an external DC to the output briefly to prime it. This is what MVS SARMA is thinking about I believe.

Optikon said:
While it is rotating, apply an external DC to the output briefly to prime it. This is what MVS SARMA is thinking about I believe.

Yes, but this doesn't apply to an alternator that uses permanent magnets like this crude one.

hi salaki,
Do you have access to a test voltmeter or an oscilloscope?

If yes, remove the LED, connect the scope in place of the LED, else connect the meter in place of the LED.

Get a strong permanent bar magnet and move if back and forth over each coil in turn.
Keep the magnet 'end' close as possible to the coil and move the magnet quickly.
The scope should show a voltage signal 'jump' , set the scope amp to say, 0.2v/cm, else the meter to 0.1V.

If you get a 'jump' on the scope/meter when you sweep the magnet over a coil the it means that you have continuity in the coils.

I suspect that you have the layout 'sense' of the coils/base magnet disks wrong, so that the generated voltage in each coil is cancelling the other out.

Do the test I suggested and lets know what you find.

EDIT: you could also use the bar magnet to check the orientation of your magnetic discs, 'repulsion or attraction'.

EDIT: I have to ask, is the LED wired the correct way round and in good condition.?
Try spinning the turbine in the other direction, in order to check the LED wiring sense.

Last edited:
Salaki said:

Hi Salaki,
i will try to explain,

please pay special attention to following figures of the document(PDF file) you have along with the kit.

1. page 9 figure 1-- it will suggest you to keep all the coils in the same fashion(or diection-- most probably some of the coils would have been reverse

2. Page 10 Fig 5-- this figure is showing the coils in reality and in the style described in 1 above.

3. Page 12 Fig 1-- this will detail the placement of magnets.-- i dont have any doubt on their placement because he magnets are colored on one side.

Now finally, i am requesting to carefully check the coil placement-- suppose some of the coils (acually speaking two of the diagonally opposite coils-- ) are mounted reverse-- then there will be no output voltage.

don't panic, just try to physically check for any of the coils in the reverse direction as depicted in item 1 above.

All the best

Sarma

Last edited:
Salaki said:
Who old are you?

Why not ask specific questions regarding his post rather than saying you're too young to understand.

If you don't understand some of the words then you could try looking them up on the Internet.

Salaki is silent-- i assume he would have debugged the issue and his mill may be producing the energy by now-- i feel members should com forward to post a comment whether positive or negative-- offlate we find cases of sudden silence-- and later other memvers continue the item

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…