Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will a damaged crystal rattle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swifty

Hi all,

I have a Logitech Harmony remote control that has stopped working, everything appears to work apart from the remote isn't actually blasting any signals to my devices..
When I shake the board I can hear quite an obvious rattle.. from what I can tell its coming from the crystal marked in the image (I'm right in thinking thats a crystal? :) )
Would a damaged crystal rattle? and is there any way to test it with a multimeter ? (I don't have an oscilliscope or anything fancy like that..)

It definatley sounds like its coming from either of the points marked on the image, It's hard to tell but i'm 99% sure its coming from the crystal.. I'm not even sure what that other thing is!!

Any help would be really appreciated as I've only done pretty basic stuff before!

Many Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF0414.JPG
    DSCF0414.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 181
Ok, forget all that... its the second item I marked, not the crystal :)
I just looked further and underneath the black plastic on that part (it's like a removable cover) there is 4 pins with a ball bearing sat in the middle.. I have no idea what that is! :p

It looks like a switch to me. It is labeled SW2 on the PCB. It should "click" when you press it, but be sure you know what it does before you press it. ;)

Would this be some kind of tilt sensor? I am not sure though why a remote would have this.

Would this be some kind of tilt sensor? I am not sure though why a remote would have this.

It appears so.. when picking the remote up it turns on and glows.. so I guess thats what it's for.
It's all pretty irrelevant now anyway, as I've just tried to program the remote and Logitech has disabled it because it was replaced under warranty - so the guy has trie to rip me off!.. damn ebay!! :p

My first wireless home phone stopped working. My wife and kids did not admit to dropping it and i didn't.
I bought a replacement crystal from the manufacturer's service depot and replaced it and it fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back