Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

will multiple transistors in perralel allow more current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashersmasher

i can't seem to find any transistors that can withstand the power needed to run my B&S Etek effectively. i was thinking that i would wire a dozen or so in parallel and that would allow the more current though. am i smart or am i dumb?

i can't seem to find any transistors that can withstand the power needed to run my B&S Etek effectively. i was thinking that i would wire a dozen or so in parallel and that would allow the more current though. am i smart or am i dumb?

As far as I know, smart. I've never done it but I've read about it.

Search the forums for "transistors in parallel". One thread I found is at https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/transistors-in-parallel.25500/

Be sure to put small equalizing resistors in series with the emitters, to help equalize the current draw through the transistors so one of them doesn't try to grab all the current and die. According to Art of Electronics (p 321) the resistors should all be the same value. That value "should be chosen for about 0.2 volt drop at maximum current."

Torben

Using MosFets you might omit the (emitter) source resistors for optimum current. They increase their internal resistance with increasing temperature, so they equal out more or less.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back