Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

230 @ 50 hertz vs running on 60 Hertz

Status
Not open for further replies.
One other problem, although most consider this a minor one, is that without a CSA certification for this model, there is a small risk that your house insurance won't cover problems caused by these machines. One other practical issue that hasn't been mentioned is that when you have a repairman in to fix these machines, he may have a harder time getting parts or information if the machine is not also sold in North America.

I have to wonder about importing such machines. I see that Miele only markets two models of washer in Canada, W1623 and W3037 with list prices ranging from $1699 to $2500. Dryers include 8003, 7634, 7644C and 8023C with list prices from $1250 to $2000. It is my understanding that the difference in performance between European clothes washing and drying machines, vs top names of North American or Korean- made models is not as large as you might guess.

Thank you Dr Pepper but I may have confused you. It is a high end Miele washer model W5740 that was designed for 50hz but I am now running it now at 60hz in the US. Not the other way around. Saying that, do you still see it as an issue?

I had it right, I just messed up explaining what I meant.
I think it unlikely you'd damage the machine, however a high end machine like this might use the mains freq as a reference, this might mess things up, you'd have to try it and see.

Dr Pepper:

I believe you meant to say an appliance designed to run on 50 Hz has less trouble than one designed for 60 Hz. 50 Hz requires more core than 60 Hz.

Speeds will be higher and if the line is used for a frequency timebase, then you could be off there too. So, yep, it's possible, but probably not likely that the washer load times are based on 60 Hz line frequency.

Yep, s'what I meant.
If line freq is used as a time base then low speed could end up near full speed, if a time delay is used to fire a thyristor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back