Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any Stronger DC motors than 9v?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a geared motor might be able to fit depending on it's size.We borrowed our school's PLC so we had to use a 24V DC supply to power it.Also,well at this point it doesn't really matter how fast it spins,I just want the motor to spin with enough speed and torque so that the compartment moves.
You can try a small servo motor. Convert it to continuous rotation if you what.

My 24v DC supply has a 5.5mA current rating I'm not sure if that helps.
It probably won't help at all. Most thumb-size motors would need at least ~ 20 times that current.

If current is not a problem now and you just need small size, you could try one of these for $16;

**broken link removed**
https://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/996

"This gearmotor is a miniature (0.94" x 0.39" x 0.47"), high-quality, high-power motor with 210:1 metal gearbox, similar to Sanyo’s popular 12 mm gearmotors.
These units have a 0.365"-long, 3 mm-diameter D-shaped output shaft.
Key specs at 6 V: 140 RPM and 70 mA free-run, 50 oz-in (3.6 kg-cm) and 1.6 A stall."

Actually looking at the specs now that motor only takes 70mA too. :)

Last edited:
If current is not a problem now and you just need small size, you could try one of these for $16;

**broken link removed**
https://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/996

"This gearmotor is a miniature (0.94" x 0.39" x 0.47"), high-quality, high-power motor with 210:1 metal gearbox, similar to Sanyo’s popular 12 mm gearmotors.
These units have a 0.365"-long, 3 mm-diameter D-shaped output shaft.
Key specs at 6 V: 140 RPM and 70 mA free-run, 50 oz-in (3.6 kg-cm) and 1.6 A stall."

Actually looking at the specs now that motor only takes 70mA too. :)

You think I could get this in any electronics shop?

If you are talking about local shops like RadioShack, probably not, because it is a speacial item; a very small motor with high gearing ratio.

Just order one from Pololu.com. They do mail order. :)

If you are talking about local shops like RadioShack, probably not, because it is a speacial item; a very small motor with high gearing ratio.

Just order one from Pololu.com. They do mail order. :)

Ok I'll keep that option in mind. Thanks! =)

Yes exactly what he needs, and easily available at many stores - I would imagine even Radio Shack?.

It would need modifying for continuous rotation though.
Yes I said that in post #21 when I first suggested using a servo. There are many online tutorials for the continuous rotation convershoin.

I went to look at some YouTube videos of how servo motors work and it looks like it'll do the job.But is there a lot of complicated circuitry required to be connected to the motor.Or would a simple circuit board with a resistor do?

I went to look at some YouTube videos of how servo motors work and it looks like it'll do the job.But is there a lot of complicated circuitry required to be connected to the motor.Or would a simple circuit board with a resistor do?
After the continuous rotation convershoin you just use it like any other motor.

Oh ok.So after the conversion,connecting it to the PLC shouldn't be a problem as well right?Also I went to an electronics supplier to check out the motor.It has 3 wires,I'm guessing one is for positive,one is for negative,and the last one is for the signal to the plc?

Oh ok.So after the conversion,connecting it to the PLC shouldn't be a problem as well right?Also I went to an electronics supplier to check out the motor.It has 3 wires,I'm guessing one is for positive,one is for negative,and the last one is for the signal to the plc?

After the continuous rotation convershoin you just use it like any other motor.

You don't use servo "like any other motor". You use them like you use any standard servo. Normal servo works with 5 to 6 volts and the signal is 0.75 .. 2.25 ms pulses at 50Hz.

You can't connect a standard servo to a 24V PLC system directly. You need a 5V operating voltage and signal levels. You can dampen the signal with a resistor divider, but for the operating voltage you need a 5V regulator. You also need to check how easily you can generate a proper servo pulse-signal with your PLC.

And you don't have to modify a servo for continuous rotation. You can buy a continuous rotation servo: https://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R174-CONT-RO-SERVO.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back