Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connector with a built-in RS232 <-> TTL (UART) converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

I got on board an IC which converts RS232 levels to TTL levels (and backwards), for the PC and the Uc to communicate with each other.

I want to remove this IC and instead use a connector which has the capability built in.
I'll connect the RS232 cable to the connector and trace the RxD, TxD, RTS, CTS directly to the Uc.

Is it as simple as that?

Are you familiar with any connectors?

Thanks.

I got on board an IC which converts RS232 levels to TTL levels (and backwards), for the PC and the Uc to communicate with each other.

I want to remove this IC and instead use a connector which has the capability built in.
I'll connect the RS232 cable to the connector and trace the RxD, TxD, RTS, CTS directly to the Uc.

Is it as simple as that?

Are you familiar with any connectors?

Thanks.

Does it have to be RS-232? Or can it be USB using a virtual com port?
Accessories | Digi-Key

If you didn't know, a virtual COM port just means that the computer sees it as RS-232 so it still works the same way in hyperterminal and everything, except the physical plug is a USB plug.

Last edited:
Hi.

Yes, the converter needs to be Serial port to TTL and backwards.
Could you refer me please to such connector?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Yes it is so simple.
All of the level shifters in your system would be soldered out.
A connection between the µC and the Computer is't possible in this way because RS232 is specified with + / - 15V Levels, TTL of the µC USART works only with 0 / 5V.
The Signal would be inverted by the level shifter too.
The better way to realize this could be, to take one of the new USB / RS232 Bridges of FTDI.

Look at this Link: **broken link removed**
You only would to change the RS232 connector to get full USB functionality.

Direct conversation between the different µC via USB is'nt possible.

Last edited:
You can use a diode to clamp the negative and positive voltage to the logic supply rails, but this is not technically rs232 compatible though most PCs will still read 0 volts as a mark and 5 volts as a space. logic inversion is easily done by changing the UC code. If you want true RS232C compatibility you HAVE To have a voltage conversion chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back