How do i create a 10v supply with 7805?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Souper man

I was wondering how i would use a 7805 to create a smoothed 10v supply using two 9v batteries

Since it's battery power just use them in series. This is a criminal waste of power though, this is the at least the third post in the last month that has inquired about using the 7805 for regulating voltages outside of it's design recommendations. Why don't people use just use a variable regulator with a 10 volt refrence or a dedicated 10 volt regulator?

I could even use a variable regulator or a 10v supply regulator. I am just familiar with the 7805. If you show me a schematic and the part, id be happy to switch =) I also thought that you could use a 7805 to create a 10v supply

Also it has to be breadboard mountable

Last edited by a moderator:
Souper, those are things you should do before you ask a question. There are so many different types of regulators and IC's in general if you don't come to us with at least some research on the question you're asking you're just going ti iritate people for asking very basic questions that require minimal effort to look up using either google, or something like Digikey's parametric search.

hi sm,
Use the 7805 in Hero's circuit, make R1 about 270R and R2[pot] about 1K.

The regulation will not be as good as a LM317, but it will give you +10V, until you get hold of a LM317.

thanks ericgibbs thats the simple answer that i needed

Or use the LM317 and use a 120hm:resistor for R1.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…