Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Create a 12V Breathing/Fading LED Circuit with My Current Components?

StrayDoggo

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project to make an LED that fades in and out (breathing effect) and operates on a 12V power source. I have the following components:

12v strip led
3x 3.7v batteries connected in series = 12v (with added extra voltage when fully charged resulting in 12v)

BC547 NPN Transistor
NE555 Timer
C817 Optocoupler
330uF 50V Capacitor
330uF 25V Capacitor
1000uF 25V Capacitor
1000uF 50V Capacitor
100k Potentiometer
15K Ohm 1/4W Resistor
10K Ohm 2W Resistor
100K Ohm 1/4W Resistor
1K Ohm 1W Resistor
4.7K Ohm 1/4W Resistor

Could someone guide me on how to wire these components to achieve the breathing effect? If any additional components or specific values are needed, I'd love some advice. I’d also appreciate any example circuits or explanations on how to calculate the timing for smooth fading.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I am not very good with circuit diagrams I am a visual learner, I also checked youtube but it didn't help me much and it was over complicated.

Attachments

• IMG_20240825_231825.jpg
    IMG_20240825_231825.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240825_211825.jpg
    IMG_20240825_211825.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
To better understand what you ask, you have only one piece of NE555, only one piece of BC547 and so on. Or for example can you use more than one NE555 or BC547?
Do you have any possibility to use components other than those listed?

To better understand what you ask, you have only one piece of NE555, only one piece of BC547 and so on. Or for example can you use more than one NE555 or BC547?
Do you have any possibility to use components other than those listed?
I only have 1 piece of NE555. But plenty of BC547 and resistors.

I just have those.

I need a working circuits that is easy and not too complicated. If I need to add new components it's not a problem.

Sorry but I don't think I can buy those things where I am right now. And I also have no understanding of C or other programming languages.
That was why I showed link to block languages. 6'th graders are using it to program robots.

Its visual. If you know how to use a simple calculator you are already a programmer. You
understand temporary/intermediate variables, how to add/sub/mul/div, your head modifies
program flow based on data......you get results -like "omg I am bankrupt :)".....lots of videos on
web starting folks out.

Go down the path you are familiar with but when you get a chance watch a couple of videos and
try it out, lots of fun and enjoyable to work with. Then if that works out you can think about tackling
C or python or.....When you program in block you can look at the C/C++ it generates and start to see
basic language typing and constructs.......

Regards, Dana.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back