Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Improve a simple turn signal setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowskater

Hey all, So I just purchased a motorcycle this month and I am now in the process of rewiring the previous owners 'electrical tape job' of doing is own flush mount turn signals. He went the cheap route and instead of buying some quality flush mounts that fit in the original slots of the old signals, he purchased some off of ebay that would seem to fit any model. I am not worried about the perfect look of the fitting and I kinda like the look of the flush mounts that he put on there, even it they are china made.

I tried to find the same signals he purchased on ebay and came to something that looked very similar but not exactly the same as there is no engraving on the signals on my fairings. My signals:
**broken link removed**

Ebay semi-equivalent: **broken link removed**

The signals are LED instead of lamps so an additional component is in the wiring. There is one power resistor per side of the the bike, one for the left circuit and one for the right.
This is a picture of the power resistors:
**broken link removed**
So they are 25 Watt, 6.8 Ohm resistors.

I plan on attaching both of the power resistors to a small aluminum plate to help dissipate the heat like so.
**broken link removed**

Here is a quick thrown together schematic of the setup when I received the bike.
**broken link removed**

I would like to make the turn signals brighter, to do so I was wondering if I can just replace the power resistors with new power resistors with a smaller watt rating or a smaller resistance value. I am not really sure on the exact behavior of these power resistors or how that change would affect the circuit.

edit: fixed initial gaffe

Last edited:
They are high power resistor, used to simulate the load from a normal bulb - withoutnt hem the indicators won't flash at the correct speed (or anywhere near it, if they flash at all).

They are designed to be bolted to a metal heatsink to dissipate the heat better, is there anything you could bolt them to?.

Thanks for the reply Nigel, I fixed my original thread as I wrote it and then quickly later realized what the item was but was unable to edit it until mods posted it.

I plan on affixing both heat-sinks to a aluminum plate or something similar.

I was wondering though if I wanted to force the LEDS to be brighter, could I just changed out the power resistor to a different safe value, but it seems that I would not have much of a result. (**broken link removed**)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back