Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

It's possible for a 4.2A LED panel consume 9.32A instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know where you connected the resistors. If they were also connected in parallel with the 24V supply then each resistor would have heated with (24V squared)/470 ohms= 1.2W.
A 2.2V red LED with 24V across it is destroyed but might light dimmly.
Was the 24V power supply also destroyed?

Here's a schematic of how you should be connecting your LEDs.

Attachments

• LED connections.PNG
    LED connections.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 127
Well, i don't know about the "theory numbers", but the fact is that my power supply it's working fine and all the green LED are ok too, but the red LED about 200 are dim or burned.

Yeah Roff i know how to connect the LED, i just never really paid attention to the LED connections, i just soldered like i see it was faster... the wires where in series but the LED were in parallel.

Your power supply probably is a switching regulator with built-in current limiting (at about 10A). It protected itself. The green LEDs survived because they have a higher forward voltage drop, which means that less voltage was available across the 470 ohm resistor, limiting the current to a (temporarily) safe value. They may also just be more robust than the red ones. This also means that more of the current was shunted to the red LEDs, which killed some of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back