Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mosfets drain (n type the tab on to-220 mosfets)

MrDEB

I want to attach all 8 tabs to the circuit board as heat sink but can I attach all 8 on together on the circuit board?

Thank you for answering at least one of the questions.

What MOSFETs are you using?

nowhere does this datasheet actually say which pin is which
Nowhere?

1711465633335.png

In your haste to be an ass, I believe you missed the point, which was which pin connects to the tab, not the pin numbers.

However, the F12N101 datasheet, unlike the examples I posted, does show the missing information.

Perhaps you could get you jollies somewhere else?

Screenshot_20240326_063012_Edge.jpg

"slimar" in that both are N channel MOSFETs in TO-220 packages.

Not so "slimar" in that the drain to source on resistance of the F12N101 is over 7 times greater than that of the IRLZ44. That means 7× more power dissipation in the F12N101 than in the IRLZ44.

At 2.75 amp drain, the means 0.077w power dissipation vs 0.54w. Neither of which seems like it should be much of a problem.

What temperature is "too hot"? How did you decide? The lowest maximum allowed temperature for these two MOSFETs is 150°C which is 302°F.

In your haste to be an ass, I believe you missed the point, which was which pin connects to the tab, not the pin numbers.

However, the F12N101 datasheet, unlike the examples I posted, does show the missing information.

View attachment 145122
You clearly made a two-part claim. I just didnt address your second claim about the tab.

See, you used the word "OR".
As far as my 4am brain and eyeballs can determine, nowhere does this datasheet actually say which pin is which or what's connected to the tab.
As for the thermal pad, why would a manufacturer specify "what's connected to the tab" when nothing is connected to the tab? That fact is clearly called out at the top of the page where they say it's a "TO-220AB" package (AKA: TO-220-3) a three pin device with no pad connection.

The English language is in need of word that means a combination of ignorance and arrogance.

Last edited:
In your haste to big an even bigger ass, you missed the key points and are seriously mistaken on that point.

● When I posted my answer, the only information given was "N channel MOSFETs in a TO-220 package".

● This picture, from an IR datasheet which I posted originally, shows a schematic symbol with D, G and S identified without pin numbers and a picture of the package without pins being identified in any way.

SmartSelect_20240323_043116_Edge.jpg

● Your claim that a TO-220 AB package has nothing connected to the tab is absolutely false as the picture posted immediately prior to your second outburst, which is from the F12N101 datasheet, shows the tab connected to the drain in a TO-220 AB package.

If you had actually answered MrDEB's question, instead of attacking me, the drains of all the MOSFETs would be connected together....and a wasteskd circuit board would have been the result. Fortunately(?), you seem to prefer arguing than answering questions, so no harm done.

The English language is in need of word that means a combination of ignorance and arrogance

Look in a mirror.

BTW, I saved a screen shot, just in case you edit your posts to avoid looking like a fool.

Last edited:
If you'd read the datasheet...
You'd see the last page says TO-220AB package

Datasheet for what exactly? Please refer to the first post.

You make the erroneous claim that the tab is isolated in a TO-22O AB package. Please open your eyes, use whatever vision-assit aid you need, and look at the picture in post #24, which if from the datasheet for one of the MOSFETs MrDEB has.

Just keep digging that hole.....

I want to attach all 8 tabs to the circuit board as heat sink but can I attach all 8 on together on the circuit board?
Based on the two transistors you listed...
I have 2 slimar MOSFETS
IRLZ44 or F12N101
And based on the datasheets' confirmation that both transistors are using TO-220AB style packages (AB suffix means only the three leads are connected - the thermal Tab is not electrically connected) - which means you can connect all of your transistors together without a problem.

Based on the two transistors you listed...

And based on the datasheets' confirmation that both transistors are using TO-220AB style packages (AB suffix means only the three leads are connected - the thermal Tab is not electrically connected) - which means you can connect all of your transistors together without a problem.

Your are arguing with the F12N101 datasheet. You are wrong. And your posts are a waste of bits in this thread.

Just in case you missed it. JEDEC TO-220 AB.

Those TO220AB parts don't meet the standard.

I am so utterly pleased to call you out on your bovine excrement. Delighted really.

Digikey lists 926 N channel MOSFETs in TO-220 packages. Of those NINE HUNDRED TWENTY SIX, EXACTLY TWO have ISOLATED TABS.

TWO out of 926. 0.22% have isolated tabs.

Only two conclusions can be drawn:

● You don't know what you're talking about

● You're here to argue.

to220.jpg

One thing I have pondered..... Why isn't the source the tab on MOSFETs. If you have a number of MOSFETs, it seems most likely the source of all goes to a common power supply. The gates or drains in parallel is unlikely.

I suppose it has to do with the internal arrangement and need for heatsinking

MrDEB
If you check the continuity from the thermal pad to each lead, and all are disconnected from the pad, you can safely mount all to the same heat sink without a problem - no need for added insulation between thermal pad and heat sink.

ZipZapOuch I guess you are unable to admit you're wrong even in light of overwhelming evidence. *Shrug* Perhaps you should stop picking fights.

If MrDEB follows your advice, will you take responsibility if the MOSFETs he uses next time don't exhibit the same rare property of an isolated tab? If indeed the current ones do (hint, they won't)?

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back