Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

output from L78MR05 significantly off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tab a

I'm working on the power supply in a Toshiba TV (TP4688J) and have found that the 5v supply, from an L78MR05 (Q840) is slightly high--5.27v--at both the output pins. As I read the datasheet, max output is supposed to be 5.2 Vo1, or 5.25 at Vo2.

Is that .07v enough to make a difference? (It's apparently been replaced at least once in the past.) Or should I look further to explain my dead power supply? (I know there is a leaking cap off VR Q801 but haven't found anything else).

Thanks.

When you post a question for a part, you should post a link to the **broken link removed**.
Vo2 is not the "second" output. It is the regulator's output voltage, specified over a wide input voltage and load current range. Vo1 is that same output, specified at 10V in and 0.35A load.
The reset output is strictly a logic level signal that can be used as a reset signal for microcontrollers, microprocessors, etc.
5.27V should not cause a problem. Are you sure your meter is accurate?

Last edited:
Cheap 7805's are crap. 5.3V wouldn't surprise me. It's probably not a problem.

TI makes some accurate ones, TL780-05. They are good.

<Are you sure your meter is accurate?>

No, but it is a Fluke. ;)

Thanks for the info on Vo1 and 2, and the advice!

Fluke also can give FLUKE readings, after all aging is something.- the calibration can go off

It's pretty rare with flukes though. We check cal on ours against a 6.5 digit bench top multimeter, the flukes are the only ones that hold cal well. They're several years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back