Question regarding Protection Diodes in Power Supply Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksinga

Please see attachments.

I found a beginner power supply project online (first image). In it the author shows protection diodes attached from output to input of the regulators. The second image is a capture from the regulator mfg datasheet which shows the same diodes already mentioned as well as two others connected from the adjustment leg to the regulator outputs.

Since this is a refresher for me while I return to the world of electronics , my question is whether the extra two diodes the project author didn't include are really necessary or not? His pcb pattern for the project only accommodates the two he included in his schematic but I figure it would be easy enough to add the other two in.

Suggestions please?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• protection_diode_example.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,575
  • project.gif
    30.6 KB · Views: 475
Protecting diodes are necessary if load discharges slower than filter capacitor after the rectifier. Regulator must not be reverse polarized.
If the regulator is a supplying a known load you can determine if the diodes are necessary. But if you build stand allone power supply and the loads can be of any type you must place protection diodes.

The text in the datasheet says with the low capacitance and output voltage of your project then a protection diode isn't necessary for the ADJ terminal:

Attachments

• lm117_protection_diodes.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 476
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…