Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay kickback diode selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
What criteria should be considered when selecting a kickback shunting diode for a relay?

Until now I have just grabbed a 1N4001. Unfortunately when I went to the drawer I found it empty. Which has made me consider why have I been using it, what criteria should be involved in the selection, and what other alternatives that I have on hand would work. 1N914? 1N4148?

PIV > 2 to 3 x the coil voltage. ( The diode is forward biased during the surge)

If relay switched occasionally, then the Non-repetitive Surge current rating > than relay coil current. (1N4148 will likely work)
If relay switched rapidly, you might consider that the current rating should be closer to the 60Hz repetitive peak current rating...

I typically work in the 5-24VDC range or 120VAC. Even the 1N914 has 100V PIV and a surge current of 1A. I would never have considered using it until I asked the question.

If the coil is AC, then you can't use a standard diode. Two back-to-back zener diodes or a bi-lateral surge suppressor of the appropriate voltage rating will.

I know that. I was just listing the relay control voltages I typically work with. I'm still stunned how over rated my diode choice has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back