Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

separate multiple files out of a single eprom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

megabyte40000

How would I go about separating the files from an eprom? I am able to read the eprom and have one hex file on my computer. I know there are 2 picture files, one text file and an executable in there somewhere but they look like their all catted together.

If the person who put the files on the eprom ment it to be seperatet he must have put some special bytes between each file, you should recognize this combination and seperte it to 3 hex files.

How would I go about finding what bytes those might be? Theres a munber of repeating characters but I can see no pattern to them.

megabyte40000 said:
How would I go about finding what bytes those might be? Theres a munber of repeating characters but I can see no pattern to them.

There might not be any, it depends entirely on who put the data there, and how they planned accessing it. In many respects it's similar to a floppy disk, if you don't know the file format it's very difficult to get the data off of it.

If there are pictures stored, what format are they in?, if it's a known format (PCX etc.) you may be able to spot them. If it's just a direct memory dump, you need to know the picture size and resolution.

If there's text there you should be able to read it, unless it's encrypted?, if so you're probably not supposed to be messing with it :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back