Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sequal to compatible mosfets

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoef

Hi,

Earlier I posted a question about compatibles to mosfet BUZ71 and since the response was so good, I feel free to post a next question closely connected to this subject.
It concerns a fruitmachine that does not want to pay out; not a very popular toy for most people I can assure you.

Everything seems to work fine apart from the hopper, which is a little container with coins and a wheel in the bottom with holes in it. If the wheel turns, it kicks out coins that are counted on exit with some opto electronics (LEDs). The whole assembly contains a little printed board with 4 pins of which two pins are for 24V DC. If I connect a 24DC battery charger (400mA) to these pins the motor runs happily. It seems the motor is started by a little mosfet and a relay on the printed circuit in the hopper assembly. Resistance between the mentioned two pins is about 3 kΩ. (the relais hasn't switched then)

The control of the motor is situated on another circuitboard, which contains of a few big caps, a regulator ( converts 35V ac to DC) and 4 channels of drivers(BUZ71). One channel controls the hopper motor and has got a blown BUZ 71 mosfet. One would expect a short in the hopper assembly, but I can't find it. I swapped the blown mosfet with BUZ11 which would not switch on with 5V on the gate and 35V on source.(BUZ bust probably) Swapped it for a brandnew RFD14N05L. It exploded and caught fire the second it was turned on.
Now I am stumped; this mosfet (RFD14N05L) switched up to 14 amp at 50V, how can that be blown by a motor running fine on 400 mA? It feels to me it has to be a short but why the hell can't I find it. This MOSFET drives only 2 pins on the board and they don't short when I measure. Of course the motor relais hasn't switched because I can't measure under live conditions. But the hopper assembly runs fine when I connect it to external power.

I just don't see what I am overlooking and am doubting the MOSFET (RLD14) was up to the job, but also hesitate to put another MOSFET in again, because I haven't found a reason for failure of both MOSFETS.

Can anybody give me a push in the right direction, even after this long story.

TIA

Gerard

Attachments

• buz71.pdf
    270.6 KB · Views: 154
  • RFD14N05LSM.pdf
    209.1 KB · Views: 127
You have a flyback diode around the FET? the built in "body-diode" isnt good enough for the task when you get fast transients caused by motor turn-off & relay.

Are you sure the mosfet is the problem? You description is a little hard to follow.

No, I am not sure the mosfet the problem at all. I got the machine with a blown mosfet. I replaced the mosfet and some resistors, that were faulty around the mosfet.

Now that is something I don't know about: A flyback diode. Where should this be; between drain and source?

Gerard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back