Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

symmetric dimming circuit for transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's wrong with just using a Variac transformer and turning the whole AC voltage up and down? :confused:

Thats how I have made variable AC power supplies for years. Cheap, rugged, reliable, and simple.

So what's wrong with just using a Variac transformer and turning the whole AC voltage up and down? :confused:

Thats how I have made variable AC power supplies for years. Cheap, rugged, reliable, and simple.

Hi,

Did you say "cheap" ?

Sorry I forget that not everyone has boxes of these sort of devices laying around from scrapping work. Cheap for me. :eek:

However that said a good used 100 VA variac can usually be had for around $25. Given that it would be running in an autotransformer type application he wouldn't need a very big one to drive his 150 VA transformer.

All done and cost nowt.
A variac is something I dont have, not scrapped anyhting that old.
My mig welder uses a variac to control the wirefeed motor, but thats staying put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back