Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

V(br)CER

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronv

Most Helpful Member
I'm building an RF amplifier and I came upon a new term that I don't know - V(br)CER. Collector to emitter breakdown voltage vs. base to emitter resistance. Does anyone know how to apply this term to the circuit below?
The transistor is a 2SC1971. It has a Vce of 17 volts, but this V(br)CER goes from 54 down to 22 volts depending on the base emitter resistance.

Attachments

• RF Amp.PNG
    RF Amp.PNG
    35.3 KB · Views: 106
It is simply the maximum collector-emitter voltage you can apply for various values of base-emitter resistance. Its value is between the maximum Vceo and maximum Vcbo (The o means the terminal not mentioned is open).

Spec.

Attached is the curve and the max rating specs. If I apply your explanation I have 50 ohms base to emitter (47+3.3) so I should be able to have the collector go as high as 50 volts? This would violate the collector emitter voltage of 35 volts so I should limit the output swing to say 25 or 30 volts (less than 35 volts).?
I like this cause I can get a lot more power out, but I want to make sure I have it right.

Attachments

• 2sc1971.PNG
    2sc1971.PNG
    51.6 KB · Views: 106
For 50 ohms base-emitter resistance you could go to 40V on the collector to emitter before it breaks down, but that often causes a catastrophic failure. For best reliability you normally don't want to operate above about 75% of that value. And you never want to go above the Vcbo Absolute Maximum value of 35V.

Thanks for the help! Now it make sense that they could get 6 watts out of that transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back