Will recording like this hurt my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

I have a 12" Apple PowerBook. It doesn't have a mic jack, only a line in. If you use a mic straight to that you get basically no sound (duh). So, I've been using my little gem 1/2watt guitar amp as a preamp. I plug the mic into that, and then use the speaker out on that into my laptop. I monitor the levels on my laptop making sure I'm not peaking too much.

Here is the schematic for the little gem:
**broken link removed**

No, it should be no problem, the voltage output of the amp won't be very high anyway - if you really want to feel safe though, feed it via a resistor to the laptop.

What would be a safe voltage to run into the laptop? I've heard lineout voltages can vary from .5volts to 2 is that right?

Also, to test the voltage, can I just hook the positive of my multimeter to the + on the speaker out, and - to ground?

joecool85 said:
What would be a safe voltage to run into the laptop? I've heard lineout voltages can vary from .5volts to 2 is that right?

That range sounds about right!. Your laptop should handle those no problem, a tiny amp like that dosn't have enough ouput to damage anything. If you like, insert a 10kohm resistor in the signal lead.

Also, to test the voltage, can I just hook the positive of my multimeter to the + on the speaker out, and - to ground?

No, you need an AC millivoltmeter or a scope.

Ha, I'm fine. Here is what I found out for my laptop:

maximum input signal amplitude 2 Vrms (5.65 Vpp), +8 dbu peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…