Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does XBox Live bring broadband signal down ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, When my son is upstairs using regular internet theres no problems, he has an ethernet connection, when he plays his X box my PC slows down and my wifes lap top just about freezes. I pay good money for fast service, does the xbox need its own modem from the cable company ?

Years ago they said that your cable internet speed slows down when many people in your neighborhood uses it.
Now my cable provider says the speed automatically increases when it senses that it can.

Maybe you can run around your neighbourhood screaming about free money and see for yourself if the speed of your internet increases (if your neighbours log-off).

lol, but its only when my son is either playing online or maybe video streaming, we unplug him from the router and her page loads instantly

I could download things quicker when my computer used many download ports at the same time. So if my son was downloading something and my daughter was also downloading then I could also download something and the speed was not affected.
Maybe your cable internet provider is ripping you off.

click this link: **broken link removed** and run it when xbox is on live and when it isnt. see if there is a speed decrease

It seems like commonsense to me - if one user on the network is sucking all the bandwidth then the rest will run slower. Presumably on-line gaming and watching videos is high priority, so takes what bandwidth it needs.

If the OP had a better and faster Internet connection you wouldn't notice the difference as much.

when i upgraded my PC all the other systems in the house slowed down, it wasnt' that i was using bandwidth, but the new system's transfer rate made it harder for the older systems to get in to "queue" for some reason, I forget how i resolved it though...... it was by either upgrading the older comp(>10yrs old), or by capping the wifi(to my PC), or a Net card update
I wish i could remember, but it was few yrs ago.....

My xbox now doesn't lag anything ever............on my network with another xbox and 2 pc's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back