Funny Images Thread!

Finnish people waiting for bus, notice how close they are together!
View attachment 96774

It can be a bit like that here in wintertime. I think it must be the lack of daylight and the cold weather makes us all depressed and antisocial!

There was a horror film set somewhere very northerly, perhaps somewhere in Alaska where it apparently stays totally dark for 30 days throughout part of the winter. This scenario became the perfect catalyst for an unprecedented outbreak of vampire activity.

Last edited:
It can be a bit like that here in wintertime. I think it must be the lack of daylight and the cold weather makes us all depressed and antisocial!

Regarding long nights (or long days for the case), my experience in Antarctica was the alteration of our sleeping schedule, at lost because of late sunsets and early sunrises. I still recall an occasion in the bridge of our vessel at the anchor: I could see on starboard, the ongoing sunset while sunrise started on port side.

By necessity, the new "habit" became going to bed by the clock.

In my first campaign, after crossing the Drake passage for the first time, a group of officers, all new in this area, we spent a whole night chatting and joking in the messroom, unaware of time. What a surprise when we found we had to start operations with a blank night behind.

I'll put this here instead of the Times Table thread

The following examples may help to clarify the difference between the new and old math.

1960: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of this price. What is his profit?

1970 (Traditional math): A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. What is his profit?

1975 (New Math): A logger exchanges a set L of lumber for a set M of money. The cardinality of set M is 100 and each element is worth $1.

(a) make 100 dots representing the elements of the set M

(b) The set C representing costs of production contains 20 fewer points than set M. Represent the set C as a subset of the set M.

(c) What is the cardinality of the set P of profits?

1990 (Dumbed-down math): A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Underline the number 20.

1997 (Whole Math): By cutting down a forest full of beautiful trees, a logger makes $20.

(a) What do you think of this way of making money?

(b) How did the forest birds and squirrels feel?

(c) Draw a picture of the forest as you'd like it to look.

—Ian, Jill, and Dex

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…