Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Make mosfet turn on higher than threshold

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

Is there a way I can get a mosfet to switch at a voltage higher than it's threshold voltage? I tried the scheme attached, but wondered if there's a better way. I'd be using a low voltage zener (eg, 3.3v) rather than a signal diode, but there isn't one in LTSpice. I want the mosfet to switch high up the capacitor's charging slope, but I want to use the voltage at the cap as well so it can't be pulled down too much.

thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• mosfet-switch.png
    mosfet-switch.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 183
  • mosfet-switch.asc
    1.6 KB · Views: 139
The threshold voltage of a Mosfet is different for each one even if they have the same part number. For the 2N7002 Mosfet the threshold voltage is anywhere from 1.0V to 2.5V when it barely begins to conduct only 0.25mA.

If you want to have a precise trip point as to where the MOSFET switches, you'd be best off using a comparator such as an LM339.

Hmmm, I'll take that as a "no" then. The aim of this was to replace two switches, one of which is always pressed (effectively SPDT), with one switch and a transistor, but then I realised I needed to catch the brief "in-between" state where neither switch is pressed since either switch can generate a pulse via the same circuit. (The version I attached creates enough of a gap) Think I should just go back to using two switches rather than start adding more components.

As always, thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back