Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TO-220 Heat Sink 6 Devices in Row

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamey

I've been searching the online catalogs for heat sinks for TO-220 MOSFETS and can't find what I want. Before I get some aluminum and make my own, I thought I'd ask here.

I'd like a sink where I can attach 6 To-220 devices side-by-side in a small area (about 3.5" long) that could be mounted to a PCB. I could use those small bolt on sinks, but would like something a little more "elegant".

I thought some sort of an extrusion would work as I could cut it to length.

Depending on the total power to be dissipated a heat sink for six TO-220 packages must be considerably large.

A good way is a combination of heatsink and fan.

Refer to the attachment for details.

Boncuk

Attachments

• LAM350..pdf
    128.9 KB · Views: 236
**broken link removed**
perfect thing... unfortunately it normally only comes in 8 foot lengths

Last edited:
How much power will the transistors be dissipating?

Are the Drain terminals all connected together? If not, then they need to be insulated from a shared heat sink.

I have a six position heat sink that I scavenged out of a retail product. "Elegant" is not a description of that piece. Forget elegant. Just start drilling some 1/8th aluminum. If that isn't enough, you can always stick some one transistor radiators to the first strip of aluminum.

Thanks, I found the perfect sink after seing Ubergeek63's link to extrusions at Aavid and checking out similar products.

**broken link removed**

Power dissipation isn't much of a problem. Individual devices might have a load of 20-30W, but the duty cycle is very low, so actual long term dissipation would be 1-2W. As well, although there are 6 devices, they are never on at the same time.

I didn't want to use those small clip-ons as I didn't want a device to quickly rise in temp when under load only to have a period of time to cool off. I figured a single large sink would keep temp fluctuations in check.

Thanks, I found the perfect sink after seing Ubergeek63's link to extrusions at Aavid and checking out similar products.

**broken link removed**

Power dissipation isn't much of a problem. Individual devices might have a load of 20-30W, but the duty cycle is very low, so actual long term dissipation would be 1-2W. As well, although there are 6 devices, they are never on at the same time.

I didn't want to use those small clip-ons as I didn't want a device to quickly rise in temp when under load only to have a period of time to cool off. I figured a single large sink would keep temp fluctuations in check.

glad to help... we use the max clips in production here on a custom extrusion. it runs about $5/lb cut and drilled in volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back